Monday, August 29, 2011

What a Dish (Mat)!

I stumbled across a simple DIY dish drying mat while perusing Craft Gossip. The tutorial was from B is for Boy Creations. I thought it was pretty frickin' clever.

As someone without a dishwasher, I frequently need more room than the average dish drainer can hold. My mom is in the same boat. While I just throw down a tea towel and hope not to chip a glass on the cast iron drainboard, my mom has bought numerous items trying to resolve it. The most recent worked ... aside from the mildew that was being "trapped" between the rubbery backing and the mat. (Was NOT supposed to let moisture through...liars.)

So I thought THESE would be perfect! Easy, pretty AND functional!

I skipped the basting spray (mostly because I couldn't find any such thing) and used bias tape to bind as I don't own a surger. I like how they turned out. I trimmed off the short ends -- one all the way past the decorative ribbing. Just pinned the flannel and towel together (wrong sides facing) with the bias tape and POOF! Zip, zip, ZIP!







Super easy! I made a pair for her using two hand towels, less than 1 yard of flannel and about 1 1/2 packages of double fold bias tape. Totally machine washable.

Now ... wait until I get around to mine! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment