Sunday, June 10, 2012

Zakka Style Sew-A-Long: Week 10


Well ... parts of this project were fun. 

Breaking two needles in a row. 
Unpicking stitches gone astray due to the thickness of the layers.
Those, not so much fun.

I probably shouldn't have used denim for the exterior. 
Too heavy.

Shouldn't have used fusible fleece for the exterior interfacing.
Too poofy.

IF (and that's a big IF) I make this again, I will use something lighter-weight for the exterior with a firm, but thinner interfacing.  I just really wanted to make this wallet/organizer to match my Big-Ass Denim Bag.

It's okay.  I like it well enough.

I found that installing the zipper was a heck of a lot easier without pinning in place.  Pinning something this thick was a nightmare.  Everything wanted to shift because it was so thick.  I just had to go slow and line everything up as I went.  I'd clip and place the corners as I got to them.  Yes, I had to stop and start a few times, but I found it easier this way.

I did take the advice of one of the other bloggers and stitch the back zip pocket closed so items wouldn't shift around to the wrong end.  I didn't get a good picture of it.  Sorry.  But this is why I "quilted" the exterior to hide the stitch line.
Please pay no attention to the wonky binding.  This thing was too thick for the listed width of binding.  Nightmare.  Ugh. 

It's fine.
It's functional.


  1. Cute! I agree, the binding was SO narrow considering everything it was supposed to enclose.

  2. I broke 3 needles sewing over the zipper teeth ! Your quilting looks awesome.

    1. Thank you! Sadly, my needles broke when trying to attach the binding - snapped when trying to do the corners. Too many layers. I even used a heavy-gauge needle and went slowly. Ugh!